Technology

Samsung apologises to staff who got Cancer at Work

Samsung apologises to staff who got Cancer at Work

This Friday, Samsung electronics apologized to its workers who developed cancer after working at some of its factories and finally ending a decade-long battle at the world’s top chipmaker. The company’s co-president Kim Ki-Nam and the father of a dead 22 years old signed a formal settlement agreement in Seoul as the other disabled ex-employees looked on. 
The firm’s co-president, Kim Ki-Nam said, “We sincerely apologise to the workers who suffered from illness and their families. We have failed to properly manage health risks at our semiconductor and LCD factories.”
Samsung Electronics, being the world’s biggest mobile phone manufacturer and chipmaker and the flagship subsidiary of the Samsung Group, is by far the biggest of the family-controlled business combination that dominates the South’s economy.
Samsung as of now works tremendous semiconductor compounds in Suwon and additionally the urban areas of Hwaseong and Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul, as well as Xian in China. 
Campaign groups say that in regards to 240 individuals have experienced and suffered from work-related ailments subsequent to being employed at Samsung semiconductor and display factories, with around  80 of them- a significant number of them young women- dying. After an arrangement declared recently, Samsung Electronics will pay the group’s employees compensation of up to 150 million won ($133,000) per case.
It will cover 16 different types of cancer, some other rare illnesses, unnatural birth cycles and congenital diseases endured by the employees' children. Claimants can have worked at plants as far back as 1984. The outrage rose in 2007 when former workers at its semiconductor and display factories in Suwon, south of Seoul, and their families said that staff had been diagnosed or died of various forms of cancer. A series of decisions and rulings by courts, Seoul's state work welfare office and a mediation committee pursued over 10 years, coming full circle in Friday’s announcement. 
Hwang Sang-ki, who signed the agreement in the interest of the labourers and their families, stated that he was glad to have fulfilled his promise to his daughter, who died of leukaemia in 2007, to demonstrate Samsung was to be blamed for her demise. 
He said, “The apology honestly was not enough for the families of the victims but we will accept it. No amount of apology will be enough to heal all the insults, the pain of industrial injuries and the suffering of losing one’s family. I cannot forget the pain she and our family went through. Too many people have suffered the same fate.”